Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hello! My name is Claudia Bustamante and I am 22 years old living in Boise, Idaho. I am a senior taking online classes from the University of Idaho. As a psychology major, I am interested in all aspects of human behavior, including behavior in society. For along time, I was only interested in working with children, but I decided I should be able to branch out if I wanted to do so in the future. The reason I took a Social Gerontology course was to better my understanding of the aging process in adults and the elderly.

I chose this striking photograph because it represents elders from various cultures including our own society. This picture comes from an article where each of these people explain what they are most afraid, and what the biggest problem is that they face in their society. For example, the man on the bottom right explains that there are no problems aging in Cuba. Claudio Rodriguez Contreras, 71, explains that the Cuban government helps the elderly with minimal requirements such as a pension, free medical care, food, and a living situation. Second from the top left, Padma Sagaram 63, explains that there are no retirement villages in Singapore. She fears becoming ill, being financially dependent on others, and being alone (CBS, 2013). I especially enjoyed this photograph and article because it showcased elders of many different cultures. In order to understand aging in our society, we must be able to compare it to others throughout the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment